The Bottom Line
- Each exercise on the DVDs are easy to understand and follow.
- The DVDs can be purchased separately or as a package.
- To perform some of the exercises, special equipment is required.
- It may be difficult to remember each exercise without taking a DVD player to the skating rink.
- Sk8Strong DVDs provide figure skaters with a comprehensive off-ice training program.
- Sk8Strong's creator is Lauren Downes, a licensed physical therapist and an off-ice strength and conditioning coach.
- Four DVDS are available. The DVDs can be purchased separately or as a package.
- The exercises require the use of balance boards, foam rolls, sport cords, therabands, medicine balls, and physioballs.
- For an extra $5, a customer can get a matching iPod video with their DVD purchase.
- Sk8Strong's products are endorsed by the Professional Skaters Association.
Guide Review - Review of Sk8Strong's Figure Skating Off-Ice Training DVDs
The main focus of the DVDs are to help skaters with correct alignment for jump take offs and landings, to center spins, and to maintain power with stroking and crossovers.
Sk8Strong DVDs include:
- Developing the Youth Skater
- The Competitive Skater
- Adult Training
- The Ultimate Dynamic Warmup
The DVDs can be purchased separately or as a package.
"The Ultimate Dynamic Warmup" DVD can be used by figure skaters just before competing or just before practicing. The warmup DVD is also for non-figure skaters who are looking for a stretching and mobility routine.
To perform some of the exercises, special equipment is required. Figure skaters use balance boards, foam rolls, sport cords, therabands, medicine balls, and physioballs. Sk8Strong's website includes an easy to find equipment section.
It may be difficult for some skaters to remember each exercise without taking a DVD player to the skating rink; however, as time passes, and with practice, the exercises may become routine and second nature to a skater.
Sk8Strong believes figure skaters need the following in order to succeed:
- Core Strength and Stability
- Strength and Power
For example, to check out of a jump, a body needs to check against the force of rotation of the jump, and also maintain a vertical axis to avoid breaking forward at the waist. Core strength is necessary to accomplish this. Sk8strong has created several exercises that accomplish that goal. In addition, Sk8Strong's videos include several exercises so that skaters can accomplish balance, stregth and power, and flexibility.