The Bottom Line
- The World Arena Ice Hall is a training center for some of the world's best figure skaters.
- The facility's coaching staff includes some of the most famous coaches in America.
- Many hours are devoted exclusively to figure skating at the facility.
- The prestigious Broadmoor Skating Club's home is at the World Arena.
- The cost of ice time at the Colorado Springs World Arena Ice Hall is reasonable.
- Freestyle, dance, and pair sessions can be very crowded.
- Some practice sessions are always full and have a waiting list.
- The intense and competitive atmosphere at the rink is not suited for recreational skaters.
- Adult figure skaters do not always "fit in" on the World Arena's figure skating sessions.
- Visiting and guest coaches are required to pay higher than average pro fees to the facility.
- Over twenty-two hours a week of ice time is devoted to figure skating.
- Freestyle sessions are divided by test level.
- Separate ice time is devoted to pairs and ice dancing.
- Three jump harnesses are available.
- Classes in ballet, modern dance, off-ice conditioning and power skating are available year round.
- Dartfish technology and traditional video analysis is available to all figure skaters.
- Two ice sheets are devoted to figure skating.
- An onsite pro shop is located next to the arena's lobby.
- The World Arena's coaching staff have trained Olympic, World, and National figure skating champions.
- The facility is the home of the Broadmoor Skating Club.
Guide Review - The Colorado Springs World Arena Ice Hall
Visitors should understand that the World Arena Ice Hall is only part of the Colorado Springs World Arena which is a sports and entertainment complex that hosts sporting events, concerts, shows, trade shows, graduations, religious rallies and civic events. The main World Arena has 8,000 seats and major skating competitions are held in the main facility, but figure skaters do not train on the main World Arena's ice sheet.
The United States Olympic Training Center is located close to the Colorado Springs World Arena and the Broadmoor Skatng Club. Also, U.S. Figure Skating's Headquarters is in Colorado Springs. The World Figure Skating Museum and Hall of Fame ia located in the same building as U.S. Figure Skating. These facilities combined with the World Arena's and the Broadmoor Skating Club's presence makes the city a figure skating mecca.
The atmosphere at the World Arena is intense (and can feel unfriendly) because many of the figure skaters training there aspire to be ice skating champions. That type of atmosphere can be an advantage since it is common to see every skater working very hard at the facility, but also, the "fun of ice skating" can sometimes be lost in such an environment. Parents of skaters should be aware of the competitive feel of the rink before considering bringing a child to train there; however, the arena does make champions so skating there can be a plus.