Worlds 2012 - A Competition Full of Surprises:
Fans and Experts Did Not Like the Judging:
"On Thursday, every man, woman and child sitting inside Nice's Acropolis Arena thought the Americans had won. That is everyone except the experts who made up the judging panel."
"I fully agree with this article. Nobody in the arena, including some judges in the panel with whom I talked, could understand how it could happen that Davis and White did not win the dance event. They were just fantastic. Wasn't the new judging system supposed to guarantee fair results? The same question applies to the gold medal of Patrick Chan. No way he should be frst in Nice."
After the men's free skate, a dedicated and longtime fan has decided to stop watching figure skating completely. She made the following statement:
"Well the men's long just ended and I CALLED IT! Chan splatted on his rear and made other errors as well, but still won (over Takahashi who was AMAZING). That's IT for me."
- Figure skating has lost a fan: She didn't like the judging at Worlds 2012 - From Examiner.com
Japan Wins Four Medals:
Japan also won its first ever medal at any World Figure Skating Championships in the pair skating event. Narumi Takahashi and Mervin Tran won bronze. "It's exciting to be the first ones to medal. It's like we're pioneers of something," said Tran.
- Takahashi and Tran Trivia: Mervin Tran is a Canadian. His partner, Narumi Takahashi, was born in Japan and then lived in China. Her family moved to Canada to train with Tran.
Akiko Suzuki of Japan won the bronze medal in the ladies event.
- Japan wins big at World Figure Skating Championships - From Jackie Wong, Figure Skating Examiner
Three of the Gold Medal Winners Had Won Before:
Russian Pairs Surprise:
Italy Wins Ladies Gold:
Not the Greatest "Worlds" For the USA:
- From Philip Hersh, The Chicago Tribune:
- No bad: just good and ugly for U.S. women at world skate
- Truth hurts: U.S. men dismal again at world skate