Pair Skating Champions:
Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir won the U.S. pair skating title in 2013 and in 2014. On January 9, 2014, they won the short program at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Boston in front of a home town crowd and scored almost seven points ahead of the pair that finished in second place after the short program initial phase of the competition.
Castelli and Shnapir have skated together since June of 2006. Shortly after they first officially became a pair skating team, they qualified for the US National Figure Skating Championships at the novice level and also qualified for the Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating. Each year, they have improved. Their years together as a pair skating team have paid off since unison, assurance, and confidence shows in their skating. After every performance, they make it a custom to always hug one another.
Simon is 6 foot 4 inches tall and Marissa is only 5 feet tall. Their considerable height and size difference makes it possible for them to perform very athletic and thrilling pair skating moves. They are known for their speed and power on the ice.
About Marissa Castelli:
Marissa Castelli was born on August 20, 1990. She is from Rhode Island and began to ice skate when she was just three years old. Her mother is a figure skating coach.
About Simon Shnapir:
Simon Shnapir and his partner Marissa, both celebrate birthdays on August 20 of each year. Shnapir was born on August 20, 1987 in Moscow, Russia, but came to the USA when he was a toddler. He speaks Russian fluently. He began skating when he was six years old.
- 2013: 1st - World Team Trophy (Team USA won the event)
- 2013: 13th - World Figure Skating Championships
- 2013: Four Continents Championships Bronze Medalists
- 2013: U.S. Pair Skating Champions
- 2012: Ice Challenge Champions
- 2012: 5th - Skate America
- 2012: 5th - U.S. Figure Skating Championships
- 2011: 5th - U.S. Figure Skating Championships
- 2010: 6th - Skate America
- 2010: 4th - Skate Canada
- 2010: Eastern Sectional Pair Skating Champions
- 2009: Junior World Bronze Medalists
- 2009: Bronze Medalists U.S. National Figure Skating Championships - Junior Pairs
- 2008: Bronze Medalists U.S. National Figure Skating Championships - Novice Pairs
- 2008: Eastern Novice Pair Champions
Coaches and Training:
Castelli and Shnapir live and train in Boston, Massachusetts. Their coaches are Bobby Martin, Carrie Wall, and Mark Mitchell. Their choreographer is Julie Marcotte. Carrie Wall is credited for encouraging Castelli and Shnapir to become a pair skating team.
Hobbies, Interests, and Favorite Skaters:
Marissa loves to dance and shop. Her favorite color is blue and her favorite food is rice. Simon's favorite male figure skaters are Olympic figure skating champions Scott Hamilton and Evgeni Plushenko. He plays tennis and his favorite color is green. When they wait to board planes at airports, Marissa and Simon play Disney trivia together. Shnapir's favorite pair skaters are two-time Olympic pair skating champions Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov and Castelli's favorite pair skaters are 2002 Olympic pair skating champions Jamie Salé and David Pelletier.
Favorite Pair Skating Moves:
Other Favorite Figure Skating Moves: