- Each participating nation's team consists of six figure skaters total.
- One male skater, one female skater, one pair team, and one ice dance team from each country participate.
- The skaters competing in the Olympic Team Trophy Figure Skating competition must also be skaters who have been chosen by their countries to compete in the individual Olympic figure skating events.
- It's up to each nation that participates to select its Olympic Team Trophy participants.
- The Olympic Figure Skating Team Trophy Event takes place before the individual Olympic figure skating events.
- For 2014, the initial phase, the short program phase for both pairs and men of the Olympic figure skating team competition is scheduled to take place on February 6, 2014, one day before the Olympic Opening Ceremonies take place.
- Participating countries have a tough decision to make when they choose its figure skaters who will take part in the Team Trophy. Taking part means that participating skaters will have used up a tremendous amount of energy for the Olympic figure skating team competition, but will still have to be in the best shape when they compete later on during the Olympic Games in the individual figure skating Olympic events.
- The ten participating nations who qualify for the Olympic figure skating team event are determined based on the results and accumulation of the scores from each country from major international figure skating competitions that take place in the two years before the Winter Olympic Games begin.
- The initial phase of the Olympic Team Trophy event is the short program phase. Athletes from each country that qualifies for the Team Trophy will perform their short programs (singles and pairs) or their short dance (ice dancing).
- After the scores are tabulated, the teams that place in the top five after the initial short program/short dance phase will compete in the competition's second and final phase of the Olympic Team Trophy competition.
- After the short program or short dance phase, the five top teams compete in the free skate or free dance portion of the Team Trophy competition.
- The team from the country that accumulates the most points wins.
Awards:Every skater in the team of figure skaters who place in the top three at the Olympic Figure Skating Team Trophy competition will be awarded with an Olympic medal at the completion of the Olympic Team Trophy event. This means that it is possible for figure skating athletes to leave the Winter Olympic Games with more than one Olympic medal.
History of Figure Skating International Team Competitions:The ISU, International Skating Union, experimented with the idea of a world figure skating team competition beginning in 2009. The first World Figure Skating Team Trophy was held in Tokyo, Japan in April 2009.
The Olympic figure skating team event has only one entry per discipline, but the world figure skating team event allows two men and two women in addition to one pair team and one ice dance team. Figure skaters who have participated say that the event is a lot of fun. Fans enjoy the competition which includes lots of enthusiasm. Flags are waved and skaters enjoy the team spirit. In 2013, Team USA won the World Figure Skating Team Trophy title.