A Beautiful and Graceful Skater :
Dorothy Hamill was known for skating with a style that was perfect. Her jumps were graceful and her technical skating was excellent. Her head was always up and she had perfect posture.
She was considered "America's Sweetheart." She is also known for her sweet personality.
Dorothy Hamill was born on July 26, 1956.
Dorothy spent her childhood in Riverside, Connecticut.
How Dorothy Began Ice Skating:
Dorothy began ice skating when she was eight years old on a pond behind her grandparents house.
Dorothy trained under Gus Lussi in Lake Placid and under Carlo Fassi in Colorado.
After the 1976 Olympics:
In 1976, after winning the Olympics, she became the most sought after skater for commercial endorsements in figure skating history. She was a star in Ice Capades for many years and also performed in other professional shows. She eventually bought the Ice Capades and continued to make professional appearances.
Dorothy's signature move was known as the "Hamill camel."
Dorothy's famous "wedge" hairstyle was copied by young girls everywhere.
Amateur Competition Record:
- 1976 World Champion
- 1976 Olympic Champion
- 1976 U.S.National Champion
- 1975 World Championships -2nd
- 1975 U.S. National Champion
- 1974 World Championships -2nd
- 1974 U.S. National Champion
- 1973 World Championships -4th
- 1973 U.S. Championships -2nd
- 1972 U.S. Championships - 4th
- 1971 U.S. Championships -5th
- 1970 U.S. Jr Championships -2nd
- 1969 U.S. Novice Champion