First American to Win the Olympic Ladies Figure Skating Title:
First American World Figure Skating Champion:In 1953, Tenley Albright became the first woman from United States to win the World Figure Skating Championships. She was only seventeen years old at the time.
First "Triple Crown" Winner:In addition to winning the World Figure Skating Championships in 1953, Albright also won the US Ladies Figure Skating title and the North American Figure Skating Championships. She was the first person to win all three titles in one year.
Date and Place of Birth and Family:
When she was eleven years old, Albright was unable to walk, was hospitalized, and was confined to bed when she was diagnosed with polio. Fortunately, she was able to use her legs again and skate again. In fact, skating helped her regain her strength. She began serious figure skating training to help in the recovery process.
Education and Career:
She took a year off from education and studies during the year she won the 1956 Winter Olympics. After winning the Olympics, she left competitive figure skating. In 1957 she began Harvard Medical School and graduated from medical school in 1961.
Albright went on to become a surgeon. Her younger brother, Niles, also became a surgeon.
- 1948 New England Regional Junior Ladies Figure Skating Champion
- 1949 Eastern Sectional Junior Ladies Figure Skating Champion
- 1950 New England Regional Senior Ladies Champion
- 1950 and 1951 Eastern Sectional Senior Ladies Champion
- 1950 United States National Junior Ladies Figure Skating Champion
- 1951 United States Senior Ladies Silver Medalist
- 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, and 1956 United States National Senior Ladies Champion
- 1952 Olympic Figure Skating Silver Medalist
- 1953 and 1955 World Figure Skating Champion
- 1953 and 1955 North American Figure Skating Champion
- 1954 and 1956 World Figure Skating Silver Medalist
- 1956 Olympic Figure Skating Champion
Additional Athletic Honors:
Tenley Albright Trivia:
At the 1951 Eastern Sectional Figure Skating Championships, Tenley Albright won the senior pairs title with Dudley Richards. (Richards was killed in the 1961 plane crash that killed all the members of the US World Figure Skating Team.)