The team figure skating event debuted during the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games.
Ten nations took part. After the initial short program and short dance phase, the teams from the countries that finished in the top five advanced to the final phase free skate and free dance phase of the competition. Some of the nations chose to have different skaters compete in the free skate or free dance after the conclusion of the short program and short dance phase.
Final 2014 Olympic Team Figure Skating Results:
4th Place: Italy - 52 points
5th Place: Japan - 51 points
Eliminated After the Initial Short Program and Short Dance Phase:
In the Olympic figure skating team event, competitors performed their individual competition programs and were judged in the same way as they are judged in individual figure skating events under the IJS figure skating judging system. Then a team score is awarded from 1 to 10.
- 1st place - 10 points
- 2nd place - 9 points
- 3rd place - 8 points
- 4th place - 7 points
- 5th place - 6 points
- 6th place - 5 points
- 7th place - 4 points
- 8th place - 3 points
- 9th place - 2 points
- 10th place - 1 point
2014 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Men's Free Skate Results
- 1st Place: Evengeni Plushenko - Russia - 168.20 (10 points)
- 2nd Place: Kevin Reynolds - Canada - 167.92 (9 points)
- 3rd Place: Tatsuki Machida - Japan - 165.85 (8 points)
- 4th Place: Jason Brown - USA - 153.67 (7 points)
- 5th Place: Paul Bonifacio Parkinson - Italy - 121.23 (6 points)
2014 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Pairs Free Skate Results:
- 1st Place: Ksenia Stolbova and Fedor Klimov - Russia - 135.09 (10 points)
- 2nd Place: Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch - Canada - 129.74 (9 points)
- 3rd Place: Stefania Berton and Ondrej Hotarek - Italy - 120.82 (8 points)
- 4th Place: Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir - USA - 117.94 (7 points)
- 5th Place: Narumi Takahashi and Ryuichi Kihara - Japan - 86.33 (6 points)
2014 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Ladies Free Skate Results:
- 1st Place: Julia Lipnitskaia - Russia - 141.51 (10 points)
- 2nd Place: Gracie Gold - USA - 129.38 (9 points)
- 3rd Place: Valentina Marchei - Italy - 112.51 (8 points)
- 4th Place: Akiko Suzuki - Japan 112.33 (7 points)
- 5th Place: Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada - 110.73 (6 points)
2014 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Free Dance Results:
- 1st Place: Meryl Davis and Charlie White - USA - 114.34 (10 points)
- 2nd Place: Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir - Canada - 107.56 (9 points)
- 3rd Place: Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov - Russia - 103.48 (8 points)
- 4th Place: Charlene Guignard and Marco Fabbri - Italy - 81.25 (7 points)
- 5th Place: Cathy Reed and Chris Reed - Japan - 76.34 (6 points)
2014 Sochi Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Comments:
The Sochi Olympics 2014 was Evgeni Plushenko of Russia's fourth Olympics. He already won three Olympic medals: gold in 2006 and silver in 2002 and 2010. He is now the winner of a fourth Olympic medal. He competed in both the short program phase and the free skate final phase of the Olympic team figure skating competition.
USA's Meryl Davis and Charlie White won both the short dance and the free dance phases with near perfect programs. Russia's Julia Lipnitskaia also won both phases of the ladies Olympic figure skating event.
Members of each nation's team sat together in separate "Kiss and Cry" areas, cheered for one another, and waved flags. All participants from the countries who placed in the top three received Olympic medals and participated in the first ever Olympic team figure skating victory ceremony.