There are some guidelines to follow regarding the care of figure skates.
Time Required: Taking care of ice skates is a continuous process.
- Always dry blades thoroughly after skating.
- Get blades sharpened on a regular basis by a professional.
- Wear skate guards on ice skating blades when walking on hard surfaces, floors, and/or concrete.
- After drying skates thoroughly, cover and store the blades inside of towel-like soakers.
- Do not leave or store blades inside of plastic or rubber skate guards.
- Polish figure skating boots on a regular basis.
- In addition to drying blades thoroughly, dry off the boot's sole completely.
- Open up the boots a bit, so they can air out, after each skating session.
- Never attempt to walk around or skate in ice skates without the boots being completely laced up.
- Replace broken figure skate laces on a regular basis.
- Have an experienced figure skate technician mount blades and replace screws when necessary.