A reality television pilot, Jersey On Ice, aired on The Learning Channel on Wednesday, December 12, 2012. Many people have been critical of what was shown. Listed below is a summary of viewers' concerns and comments.
I've put together a detailed response to the concerns listed below. They are valid concerns and need to be addressed.
- The coaches' behavior is unprofessional. They also exhibited poor sportsmanship.
- The three coaches featured are not qualified ice skating coaches. It has been stated that these coaches may have inflated their credentials.
- It has been said by some that the show does not show "real figure skaters" who take part in US Figure Skating's qualifying and non-qualifying events, competitions, or tests.
- Very low level skaters who are preparing and competing for an ISI, Ice Skating Institute, in-house competition are featured. It has been expressed that these skaters can't truly represent all that goes on in the figure skating world.
- The quality of the skating shown is very, very poor.
- The coaches talk about preparing skaters for an upcoming team regional competition in Lake Placid, New York. The event the kids are working for could not be a "real Regionals."
- People have also commented that the three major figure skating organizations in the United States, Ice Skating Institute (ISI), Professional Skaters Association (PSA), and US Figure Skating could not have possibly allowed their skaters and/or coaches to participate in this reality show.
- It has been stated that US Figure Skating sent out an email blast to all its member clubs which stated that participation in the show would cause its skaters to lose eligibility.
- It was also stated that the Professional Skaters Association sent out an email blast asking coaches to contact The Learning Channel about appearing in the reality show, but no PSA members responded to The Learning Channel's inquiry since "no reputable skating coach" would consider participating in a show like this one.
- One of the skaters, an eleven year old girl who appears in the show, has Olympic dreams, but doesn't really know what it takes to train properly to move toward that goal.
- The coaches have been accused of disreputable behavior.
Jersey On Ice Coaches - Photo Courtesy The Learning Channel