1. Sports

Jo Ann Schneider Farris

Who Should Have Won the Bronze Medal in Ladies Figure Skating At the 2010 Olympics?

By February 27, 2010

2010 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies Medalists

The figure skating competitive events at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games are over. There was some controversy about the ladies figure skating event. Most figure skating fans agree that Kim Yu-Na of South Korea deserved gold and Mao Asada of Japan deserved silver, but some people think that the bronze medal should have gone to someone else.

Which figure skater should have won the bronze medal in ladies figure skating in Vancouver? Cast your vote!

2010 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies Medalists - Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Comments

February 27, 2010 at 12:21 pm
(1) TM says:

Really? This seems quite unfair as far as I’m concerned. Joannie worked hard to get that medal. For once the judging was fair and it seems like just because a fans favorite skater didn’t do as well as they thought, there is a scandal. Figure skating will never be totally respected because of that. Deep down fans know Joannie deserved that medal, and not just because her mom passed away. Let’s not take what she achieved away. That’s the peak of selfishness.

February 27, 2010 at 11:22 pm
(2) Ola Kamieniecki says:

I think that judges were correct! Joannie skated with passion. She deserved third. She would have got third even if nobody knew that her mom died. It is sad to put a question like this.

February 28, 2010 at 4:22 am
(3) Mi says:

Some controversy? Who says? I think some people are trying to “fabricate controversy.

February 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm
(4) 1234 says:

Rochette should earn the silver, not bronze.

February 28, 2010 at 1:01 pm
(5) 5678 says:

@1234 do you even know figure skating?

February 28, 2010 at 8:41 pm
(6) sososososos says:

Rochette skated well however made obvious mistakes her second time out. Mirai, Ando and Rachel Flatt all skated flawlessly with passion without mistakes however there scores in the second round fell way short. I am still baffled. Too bad they dont share score cards.

February 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm
(7) Barb says:

Joannie is a fine skater but , honestly, this was a
sympathy medal. She made big obvious mistakes in the
long and yet had no downgrades. Rachel skated with no errors- even in super slow motion the so called edge errors were invisible! She was deliberately scored low. Because she skated first in the group, this was to leave room for Joannie in case of errors-and that is exactly what happened! I feel sorry for her- but they took a medal way from Mirai and Rachel who both skated better.

March 1, 2010 at 9:32 am
(8) Lori Landry says:

You should all be ashamed of your selves.
This young lady is an accomplished skater.
Prepared and deserving of this medal and
How dare you question the judges decisions.
That is very low. Stop hurting this young lady
with this type of media and respect her family
as they greive.

March 1, 2010 at 9:57 pm
(9) kaji says:

↓Please see this video↓

March 2, 2010 at 8:34 am
(10) guest says:

@ Lori – They are all accomplished skaters and we all respect Joannie and her family as they grieve however that is irrelevant to the reality of the poor judging. Joannie was wonderful however Mirai, Ando and even Flatt were better.

March 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm
(11) TM says:

The scores are available at these two links.

Short Program

Long Program

Based on the scoring, if Joannie had landed Her planned Double axel Double axel she would have taken the Silver.

I don’t think anyone here is being hateful or mean, but skating is passionate. Fans are fans, and when you get differing opinions as to someoneís taste, you’ll always have conflict. The key is not crossing the line and berating other people and especially the athletes themselves.

The main point is that for once it seems the judging system worked! The evidence is in the links I posted above. If you under rotated a jump, you were downgraded, if you put a hand down, you were downgraded. On the flip-side, if you did something well, you were rewarded for it. That’s how skating should be. Finally! I never thought Iíd see that day.

For so long scoring in this wonderful sport was ruled by what the eye saw (and more importantly didnít see) rather than what was actually happening. Now that that element has been largely taken out of it, some credibility has returned to the sport.

I know as a competitive skater it makes me rest easier at night knowing when I step on the ice to do what I worked so hard to do, no one can take my hard work away from me simply because they don’t “like” me.

I’m sure every competitive skater knows of at least one person that has happened to in the past under the old system.

If we want to move forward and keep honesty and justice in this sport, we have to let go of the biasness of being a “fan” and acknowledge what these athletes do on the day of competition.

Miki Ando is my favorite skater, but she didn’t come out to play that day unfortunately.

Letís not forget as serious as we take these competitions, it is merely sport. Not life or Death. It’s entertainment for us, and a passion for the competitors.

As Jo Ann said, Happy Skating!

March 2, 2010 at 7:32 pm
(12) Gimpynerdy says:

Personally I thought Mirai “looked like” she skated much better than Joannie in the long program, and deserved a higher overal mark in the long – but even then she was so far back from Joannie after the short, she would have needed almost 140pt long to come 3rd. The judges are not about to give a 16 year old at her first olympics a 140 pt long which would have been 9 pts more than Mao Asada’s LP. Also if you look at the detailed marks, you will see Mirai did not get her level 4s on spiral or step sequence, despite their looking good to the untrained eye – in other words she made some technical mistakes that mostly only the judges would pick up on.

Flatt for me in the LP – was just that – flat. She needs to work on boosting her PCS scores. Technically she seems consistent, but if she’s cheating her triples, then she needs to fix that.

Joannie was just too far ahead after the short for any of them to catch her (despite J’s mistakes). Also please remember that Joannie scores higher than Asada on PCS. She almost scores what Kim does. I think that without the two technical mistakes in the LP, Joannie would have Silver.

Having said all this, I would predict that (barring injury or other catastrophe – touch wood) Mirai Nagasu will be the deserved world champion in 2011 and will be the front runner for many years to come.